Thursday, August 29, 2013

Falling Leaves

 Today you're going to see some fun creations from the Design Team with a couple of our still beautiful but older sets Ferns and Fiddles and Falling Leaves ...perfectly inspiring for the upcoming season of Autumn!

I have a bit of a before and after for you.  I made the top card on Wednesday and had a specific idea or look that I had in mind when I set out to create this card.  As you can see, I completely changed it on Thursday.  I am very leary of using colored cardstock, it can really make or break your card, in my opinion.  I had originally chose the orange colored cardstock because it had a fall feel with the brown and metal colored leaves.  After I photographed it and saw it on my computer, I nearly had a heart attack!  It looked nothing like what I normally create, and honestly wanted to throw it into the circular file.

BEFORE:

So here we are with the after.  I took my guillotine trimmer and cut the main stamped panel off and trimmed it down to fit my vertical orientation card.  Can you hear the sigh of relief?  This feels a little more like me and what I normally create.  I took plain seam binding and used 3 different distress inks to achieve this color by misting the ribbon with water and soaking up some ink off my craft mat. I then took 2 leaf stick pins and colored them with my Copics to get a patina on them.

AFTER:

I used Perfect Pearls along with some Tim Holtz Embossing ink to achieve the metallic look of the leaves.  It wasn't easy to photograph the card in a way that really shows the sheen from the leaves, it is a lot prettier IRL.

SUPPLIES USED:

 So you can head on over and visit...
Make sure to hop on over to the Flourishes blog.  We are saying goodbye to Amanda and welcoming a new member, Allison.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Heather

19 comments:

Mona Pendleton said...

So pretty Heather! Both versions are pretty but you know me, I love all the bells and whistles :)

Rosy Newlun said...

I'm just in awe with that metallic look on the leaf outlines! Your circular file would be my masterpieces LOL!!!

Ros Crawford said...

I know juts what you mean ... sometimes I end up cutting them and mounting them onto white CS. I agree with you over your card the finished version is stunning!

Lisa Elton said...

Good to know i'm not alone in the gasp and redo department! Both are pretty but yes the second is more you!

Unknown said...

Oh I've been struggling with a fall card for two days now so I feel your pain!! I love how you "rescued" this card. Looks so pretty and I can see the shine you added.
Now I'm off to see if I can do anything for my card. :)

KimCreate said...

Don't you just hate when you make a card and then don't like it? ugh.
But the before card was nice. I agree the after card is more like a Heather card! :) Love the bow and leaf pins!

Marsha Reed said...

The before card was nice and sometimes we need to step out of our box and do different. The after card is very pretty and I love the colors you used.

Tricia T said...

Love your remake, Heather! Don't you just hate "gasp" cards!! ; ) I love your bow and pins. That really makes it!!

Mary Ann said...

Very pretty!!!Love the colors!!!

Mickie said...

Both are fantastic! Love the fall colors.

Pattie J. said...

the image is excellent, with the the shinning perfect pearls and and the distress inks. Brings out the gorgeous fall colors for the leaves. And the choice of colored card-stalk was excellent. Love your whole technique

Maria said...

I honestly LOVE both cards, Heather! I can't say anything that I dislike about either card! I think the colored card stock enhances the warm tones on the first card. And, the second card is so pretty with all the embellishes! Have a great weekend, hugs!

ChristineCreations said...

I really love how you used the ribbon and pins Heather. Beautiful color and simplicity for these leaves!

dpkennedy said...

I love the metallic leaves! This is beautiful! Hope you have a great weekend :)

Unknown said...

Both of before and after are equally beautiful, Heather! Don't you know your work is always beautiful? :)))
Love the look of perfect pearl. It is pretty from the photo but I bet it is gorgeous IRL.

Stacy Morgan said...

Gorgeous fall card Heather. Your leaves look wonderful and the stick pins are perfect.

farmhouse-story said...

isn't it amazing what a color change can do to a pretty card--makes it perfect:)

Jennifer Jackson said...

Although I didn't hate the before I agree that the "after" is much better! I love the ribbon too!

Leslie Miller said...

Scared yourself for a minute there, didn't you! Love how you softened up the color by putting it on kraft and adding a pretty bow. I can see some of the sheen of the leaves -- just enough to know it is stunning in real life. Love your style, Heather!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
site design by designer blogs