Thursday, August 8, 2013

Serenity, Courage and Wisdom

The month of August has rolled in and many of us are beginning to think ahead to Autumn.  How about we throw a fun color challenge at you that mixes Summer and Autumn colors together and challenge you to create something with the potential to WIN our August New Releases at Flourishes!


I think I jumped in with both feet when it comes to mixed media.  I am loving the more artistic side that it brings out in me.  It has taken me a year to be able to share some of my work, I played around many times and didn't like the end result.  I am finally feeling more confident in my work which makes me enjoy it even more.  Obviously, you can tell I have been inspired by a lot of Tim Holtz's work.  I used my distress ink pads and distress markers to achieve these results.


Below is a close up of my ink dyed seam binding.  For the blue, I took my Broken China ink pad and smooshed it down on my craft mat, spritzed it with water and soaked up the mixture into the ribbon.  For the orangy peach, I took Dried Marigold ink pad and did the same as I did for the blue but it wasn't dark enough so I scribbled some of my Spiced Marmalade distress marker on the craft mat, misted it and soaked the ribbon in the mixture.  I love how the edges take a little darker and the unevenness of the color.



 Here are the colors:

  August+RW+Challenge+Graphic

 A lovely teal, a rich rust and a neutral gray. What we love about this challenge is that all of these colors can be found in our Flourishes Color Made Easy Collections. Emerald Coast, Terra Cotta and either Cool Neutrals or Tonal Neutrals, isn't that great?

Now, for some lovely card inspiration with these colors, here's what the Design Team has to show off…
THE OFFICIAL RULES:
  • Simply create a card using these colors in the graphic above
  • Entries need to be in by Friday August 16th at 5 PM EST
  • Those entries using Flourishes Stamps will be counted twice
  • You must link your creation on our InLinkz Widgit to be counted
  • You must have a link to our challenge in your blog post or gallery post
  • Please DO NOT combine challenges. Only those entries that don't combine will be in the running
  • If you upload to SCS please use the keyword FLLCAUG13
  • We'll announce the winners on Saturday in our Winner's Circle Post here on the blog on Saturday August 17th, so check back then to find out if you are a winner!
Thanks for stopping by today and we look forward to seeing what you create! We'll see you here on Wednesday August 14th when our wonderful August Sneak Peeks start! Enjoy creating with these colors!

Heather

23 comments:

Allison Cope said...

I love your more artsy style Heather! Your tag is beautiful! I'm in love with all the ink blending and your ribbon is to "dye" for! LOL! Gorgeous details and get use of the colour palette!

Ros Crawford said...

How lovely your tag is and so nice to see you playing in mixed media ... I Love the result!

Miriam said...

I think you are fabulous with mixed media! Keep it up! Love everything about this tag.

Cheryl said...

Heather, I saw this in my Bloglovin' reader this morning and it stopped me in my tracks...it is Stunning! OMGosh, I'm so inspired! I love everything about it! If I didn't have to get my DD to her first day of school this morning,I'd be running to my craft room right now to get inky! A master at mixed media, too...who knew!?! Have a fab weekend!

Dawn Easton said...

Oh my goodness! Your mixed media piece is beautiful! I bet your projects over the last year have been stunning! Remember that we are our own worst critics! LOL! So happy you decided to share with us!

Mary Ann said...

Beautiful tag!!!

Silke Ledlow said...

Heather...this is so gorgeous! What a great tag!!! Love it :) !!! Have a great weekend..hugs ~S~

Lisa H. said...

soooo glad you are sharing this. It's really, really pretty. the dyed seam binding is awesome. I love the richness of the colors on the tag, too.

Cindy Lawrence said...

Yum, yum, yummy, gf! Love all of your fabulous details! That background is so soft and lovely, and the dyed ribbon is deLISH!

Cheryl said...

Gorgeous tag Heather, love the colors and the charm too!

Davi said...

Gorgeous tag Heather! I love the soft vintage look and the cut out flowers add wonderful dimension ;)

CherylQuilts said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Heather! I love this sentiment, and the distressed work with inks and ribbon is perfection! Pinning it!

ChristineCreations said...

Heather you did such a beautiful job on this tag! It will be so fun to see more of your mixed media projects!

Unknown said...

Your tag looks beautiful Heather. Definitely has a summer feel to it. I love the way you used the distressed ink to color your seam binding. I have used copic markers to color my SB. But I love the way your turned out.

Happy Friday my friend.

Hugs~

Maria said...

Your tag is very beautiful! You do mixed media very well! Such pretty ribbon, colors, and charm! Have a great weekend, hugs!

Lisa Elton said...

Well look at you getting all artsy! WOWZERS girl this is stellar! Fabulous job and beautiful beautiful results!!

Cards By Betty said...

Heather your tag is beautiful I think it is one of the best things I have seen you create.

Sue Lelli said...

Whoo! Hoo! Mixed media! This tag is FAB! LOVE the flowers and the sentiment and that dangling charm, Heather!

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful tag! The flowers look so pretty on the gorgeous background!

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous, Heather! I love your take on the color combo...more warm colors than the cool ones. Beautifully done.

Julie Koerber said...

If you keep showing all this gorgeousness, you might pull me over to mixed media! I love this look Heather and the way you have balanced and melded the images is just too fun.

Leslie Miller said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I turn my back for a minute and look at all the amazing stuff you've created! You're rockin' the mixed media!

Stacy Morgan said...

See this looks rich and beautiful. The charm is a great touch, beautiful job.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
site design by designer blogs